Thursday, May 31, 2012

oui oui oui (all the way home!)




oui oui oui, oil on panel 12" x 12"

oui oui oui
, 2012

oil on cradled panel

12-in. x 12-in.

I've actually kind of always identified with the cartoon characterization of the pig. He likes a good meal, a fair amount of napping, and he's clearly intelligent.

I say intelligent because this version of the pig doesn't spend a whole lot of time "cleaning up" (i.e. he's a slob). This little character trait is one that I valiantly defend with one of my favorite contretemps of all time:

Being overly neat and organized is illogical!

It's illogical and I can prove it with my old pal...SCIENCE!

The Second Law of Thermodynamics ( Entropy) tells us that in a closed system (let's say...hmmm...my house, for example) the clean, tidy, organized version has low entropy. All of my books are on the shelf. My oil paints are organized by brand, color, and opacity. My little toy cars and robots are neatly arranged in a decorative, carefully arranged fashion.

We would say that this version of my house has low entropy. The "neat" version is one state of an infinite possible variation of states where all of the other versions would be described as messy (or high entropy). The entropy increases relative to the degree of disorder relative to that ONE ordered state.

So, for me to return my messy (and more natural) house to the ONE ordered state that everyone thinks is SO important, I will increase the entropy (and disorder) due to the expense of energy required to return it to that state. The high entropy state is more auspicious (and natural) than the low entropy state.

I win!

Thank you, Science! I dearly love you.

Little pig, little pig, let me come in.
Not by the hair on my chinny chin chin.
Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house down! 
-The (Big, Bad) Wolf

This is not to say that my lovable cartoon piggy doesn't have his failings. He might be a little lazy, AND... possibly a poor craftsman. All of the extra time he collects through not expending (wasting) energy tidying-up should be used wisely.

Time is valuable, and look at all of the energy we didn't expend to get more of it!

By wisely, I mean he needs to spend that time building things that any jerk (or Big, Bad Wolf) can't easily dismantle (or "blow").





I guess if we take anything away from this short film it would be the validation of the rumor that The Big, Bad Wolf does, indeed, "blow"!

Here's a little movie I made using a more direct painting method where I apply the paint directly as opposed to a series of layers or glazes. One lady emailed me to let me know that she found my commentary "annoying". It probably is.


 

Pin It Now!