Wednesday, February 14, 2007

ceci n'est pas une pig



Todays toys are kind of crappy. Yeah, you've got the xbox 360 ( awesome !) and your Idog ( not awesome...at all), but whatever happened to Lincoln Logs? I know they still sell them, but they don't exactly fly off the shelves like Elmo TMX. I always ( even as a kid) examine toys like this little pig and kind of revere the unsung artistry of the sculpting. Some guy carved this pig really well, and we will never know his name.

Okay, maybe I'm reading a little too much into it, but when I was a kid I had a smaller amount of toys. I knew EVERY detail on every one. The nose on my Mego Joker ; the hair sculpting of my Stretch Armstrong; and, the underside of the head on my Rockem Sockem Robots ( sometimes they wouldn't come up and you had to monkey with them a little). Hey, its important!

Should I have used cochon instead of pig?

"ceci n'est pas une pig", 2007

6" x 6", oil on gessoed hardboard

Click on the image to bid on this painting or to see my other work listed on ebay. You can get on my mailing list by subscribing to my google group above ( I send out a note when I list a new painting) . Also, check out ottolange.com to see more work and get more info.
Pin It Now!